Rain, rain, rain … always a good reason to shake the dust on your old Squad Leader rulebooks! And as it’s not very easy to find a sparing partner these days, a good option is to review the game rules solo, but also to get ready to start a game online thanks to Vassal!
Let me tell you how you can very quickly set up your computer for that:
- First, you need ASL rules, or at least the ASL Starter Kit #1 (ASLSK1):
. Official site: Multi Man Publishing ($25)
. English PDF: (Search torrents engines, but you should get the full game from MMP)
. French PDF: http://cote1664.net/spip.php?rubrique36
- Then download Vassal 5.9.2 for your platform (Mac in my case): http://www.vassalengine.org/
- Get the VASL Modulehere: http://advancedsquadleader.net/index.php/VASL_mods
- Get VASL extensions here: http://www.advancedsquadleader.net/index.php/VASL_Extensions. You don’t necessary need them, they are just helpers and enhancers.
- Get VASL Boards here: http://advancedsquadleader.net/index.php/Category:Boards
- During your downloads and installs, you can watch the first episode of Joe Steadman’s podcast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFk01JboIhk
- There are 6 scenarii in ASLSK1, and you might like to get the VASL setup files here: http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/69859/starter-kit-1-enhanced-setups-2011-08-25
OK, you should be ready to start your first game with scenario S1, “Retaking Vierville” (PDF File: ASL – Starter Kit #1 – Scenario S1), which takes place during Operation Overlord, or the Invasion of France, on 07 June 1944. There is only infantry involved, without support weapons, artillery (in ASLSK2) nor armour (ASLSK3): Elements of US 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment are taking small village of Vierville, but they are challenged by elements of German grenadier regiments garrisoning the area, supported by some squads of the Elite 6th Fallschirmjager Regiment.
I have created my own setup in VASL, as shown below.