How many times shall we have to repeat it: The iPad could be the best companion of the 21st century wargamer! Imagine the pleasure of panning and zooming on the battlefield, and moving your counters across the hexes with a simple touch gesture… this is not a dream, this is now a reality. There are a number of inspiring game titles which can be considered as decent wargames, and I’m going to review them as they pop up within the next few months.
Today, I have spotted “History Egypt HD” for the iPad, with as a subtitle “Engineering an Empire”. The game allows players to build their own empire from its foundations to the height of its power. Acting as the leader of a territory from the Egyptian Empire, players manage all aspects of its rise, from economic growth to political power, the development of armies, and expansion into other regions by war and diplomacy.
Empires are controlled from three main views: the Campaign Map shows the entire game world, including mountains, forests, coastlines, oceans, rivers, cites, and armies. The City Map gives players an overview of the structure and role of a city within the empire, and provides a basis for economic decisions. The Battle Map is to be used when diplomacy has run its course or when a city is being attacked, resulting in turn-based combat.
The game is graphically rich with fast paced addictive gameplay. It is probably ideal for newcomers to the turn based strategy game genre.
- City development with over 50 buildings to construct
- Army management with more than 25 unit types to recruit
- Each nation has its own unique units and buildings
- 9 historic campaigns with each with different objectives
- Diplomacy, wars, peace and tributes: use your skills to fight your enemies or make other countries your friends
- Official site: http://www.slitherine.com/games/EEaE_ipad
- Download from iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/history-egypt-hd/id428936764?mt=8