The French Magazine Jeux & Stratégie, which pioneered the market in the early 80’s, was regularly reviewing strategy boardgames and wargames. Actually each issue was even coming with a free game to cut and play.
Issue #001 in 1980 included a very simple Napoleonic Wargame, “La Guerre des Ducs”, designed by François Marcela-Froideval, whose purpose was to initiate the newbies to the basics of this new kind of games.
Today, the game can be downloaded from various sources:
- BoardGameGeek entry: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/14847/la-guerre-des-ducs
- Full Issue #001, including the game: http://www.abandonware-magazines.org/affiche_mag.php?mag=185&num=3984&album=oui
- The game alone can be downloaded here: http://laurent36.typepad.com/blog/2007/12/les-encarts-de-jeux-et-stratégie-n-1-à-10.html
- A Cyberboard Gamebox can be found here: http://cyberboard.gamebox.free.fr/gamebox.php?numero=1&editeur=JS
- A ZunTzu game box can be found here: http://www.zuntzu.com/files.htm